Thursday, November 23, 2017

Being Thankful

Today is Thanksgiving in the United States (I know some of you are from other countries). It's a day we're supposed to stop and think about what we are thankful for.

I say "supposed to" because I think the "being thankful" part of the day is kind of automatic for a lot of people. Many families have a tradition of going around the table and having everyone say something they are thankful for. It's a nice tradition, though I think it's easy for people to joke about, or say something obvious.

It's harder to really think about, and answer to honestly.

Harder still when you're a cancer patient.

And maybe even harder than that when you have a cancer that is considered incurable.

It kind of takes one of those automatic answers off the list -- "I'm thankful for my health."

But I really am thankful for my health.

I'm healthy enough to be able to spend the day with my family. I'm healthy enough to wrap my arms around my wife and tell her I love her. My kids are all home, together under one roof, for the first time in months. I spent yesterday afternoon making pies, and today I'm going to eat way more than I should. I can do that. Not everyone can.

I'm healthy enough to continue working. I like my job -- a lot -- and even on bad days, I can get things done and look back at the end of the day and see what I accomplished. Maybe not everything I'd hoped, but something. Not everyone can.

I'm healthy enough to help others. As many of you know, since last spring, I've tried to expand my advocacy work, writing more than just the blog, and sharing all those years of experience with others. I'm healthy enough to do that. Most nights, I have enough energy left to do some reading and writing. Not everyone can.

Like most people, I can look back at my life and think of the people who haven't been able to do the things that I'm healthy enough to do.

I know people who haven't been healthy enough for receive the hugs I wanted to give them. I can remember a Thanksgiving dinner in a hospital room, visiting a loved one. I know folks who really want to help with the dishes, but who just need to lie down, and not because the big meal made them sleepy.

I'm not trying to make Thanksgiving about guilt. It should be a joyful time, focusing on the blessings we have.

But I also know how easy it is to focus on the things are not so joyful. So maybe focusing on what we are not -- completely healthy -- can be a way of helping us see what we are -- healthy enough.

That's what I'm focusing on today.

I hope you all enjoy the day, wherever you are, and that you're healthy enough to do something special, that makes you feel good, whatever it is.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a great man!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bob! I'm thankful that I have your blog to read :)
Lilly

Ginny said...

I, too, am thankful for you and your blog. Happy Thanksgiving and many blessings for the good work you do!

Shelly said...

Well said sir! I am so grateful that I had my husband and son here today and I can still enjoy cooking for them. I'm also thankful to have your blog to inform me and sometimes console me.
Happy Thanksgiving Bob!
Peace & blessing,
Shelly

icrazyhorse said...

Thank you for the upbeat message Bob. And thank you for running this OUTSTANDING blog for us fNHL patients and caregivers.

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

William

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Bo I second all these thankful, grateful comments.
I will take to heart what you wrote.
Best wishes for continued good health to all of us with fnhl.
Donna

Unknown said...

Always bem thankful to you, Bob!
Rodrigo

Lymphomaniac said...

Thanks, everyone. I'm thankful for all of you, too. You give me a reason to keep doing this with your generous comments.
Bob

Clara david said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.