Sunday, November 18, 2012

Alcohol and Lymphoma

This seems relevant as we enter the holiday season, when I'll be dealing with family, friends, food, and, most importantly, the occasional alcohol.

British researchers have found that moderate drinking appears to lower the risk of some types of blood cancers, including follicular lymphoma.

Cigarette smoking does the opposite, and increases risk. I've never been a smoker, so I don't really care.

But the drinking part? Yes, that is intriguing.


The study implies that drinking alcohol might have some affect on keeping blood cancers away. It doesn't say anything about alcohol helping lymphoma once you have it. But we can make that logical leap, right? It must help, wouldn't you think? It couldn't hurt, anyway? Right?

A little wine with the turkey dinner.

A few sips of my brother's excellent pumpkin ale.

A shot of Bailey's in my hot chocolate after shoveling snow.

A dash of kahlua in my egg nog.

'Tis the season.

No comments: