Monday, July 2, 2012

Things I Wish I Was Told

Jeff Tomczek wrote a nice piece a couple of days ago called "The Things I Wish I Were Told When I Was Diagnosed with Cancer."


It's a familiar list to anyone who's been diagnosed; that's not a criticism -- some of us only realize the familiarity after we've read it.

A few that I particularly like:

"You will be determined to have more energy than you do."  I've been fortunate to have had only Rituxan, which knocked me out for about a day or two. But I've certainly known cancer patients who have had stronger treatments, and tried to do more than they could. Tomczek says that you change, and you should embrace this. I think that's good advice, whether or not you had an aggressive treatment.

"Your doctors and nurses will become a source of comfort." I admire health professionals who go into oncology, because almost all of them are wonderful people who deal with some much bad stuff all day. I admire their being able to come to work every day. Of course, if you're a smart ass like me, you challenge your doctor by quoting from medical journals that you know he probably hasn't had time to read yet. Also, you chuckle at how he gets a little embarrassed when he needs to give you a physical exam. These, too, are comforting.



"You will inspire others. It will feel weird." Yes, you may become a role model. Your determination and strength will cause people to say, "I don't think I could do it." And you will smile and touch their hand and say, "Yes...you could." But really you are thinking, "Please, don't let this be the start of a story about someone you know who died from the same cancer." You will change the subject quickly.

For those of us who have already been diagnosed, it might be too late to take this advice. But we can certainly pass it along to others, with our understanding.




No comments: