Sunday, June 3, 2012

National Cancer Survivors Day

Today is the 25th annual National Cancer Survivors Day.

To all you survivors -- congratulations!

And remember just what a Survivor is, according to the folks who organize this day:

"The National Cancer Survivors Day Foundation defines a "survivor" as anyone living with a history of cancer – from the moment of diagnosis through the remainder of life."

That's important. None of this "I have to wait 5 years before I can call myself a survivor" nonsense. 

Because for most of us, getting out of bed is evidence enough of our survival.

So do something fun and life affirming today. My schedule includes seeing my daughter sing at church; watching one son's soccer game; listening to another son trying to sneak in playing some sax when he should be focusing on studying for his English final exam; grading a stack of papers (and being thankful that I can work); and working to find 10 minutes to talk to my wife. 

A full day. 

A very good day.

A Survivor's day.

Enjoy your own -- or make someone else's better.

No comments: