Saturday, November 12, 2011

Paps

OK, I know in a cancer blog you might be expecting "Paps" to refer to something else, but I'm writing about Jonathan Papelbon, the now former Red Sox closer, signing with the Phillies.

I'll admit, I'm going to miss him. Even though I saw one of his few big blown saves live, in a playoff game no less, I'll always love him for 2007 -- both his many saves and his Riverdance with Dropkick Murphy's, in a kilt, during the parade after they won the Series.

(And if you're looking  for a cancer connection in all of this, Dropkick provides it. They gave our family a big lift a couple of months after I was diagnosed. Look it up in the Lympho Bob archives. March 2008.)

As much as I appreciate all of Paps' saves, and his Riverdance, I think what I'll miss most is his entrance. Imagine it's the top of the ninth at Fenway, the Sox have a small lead, and they're three outs away from a win. There seems to be some hesitation on the bench before the Sox fielders jog to their positions. And then you hear the opening chords to Dropkick's "Shipping Up to Boston": DUH DUH...DUH DUH...DUH DUH....And Papelbon pauses at the bullpen door, fists bumps the police officer assigned to guard the bullpen, and then sprints from the bullpen, all alone on the field, to the mound.

As cool as it is on video, to see it live is just amazing. 30,000 fans on their feet when the Dropkick song comes on, then clapping to the music, so completely pumped up with confidence. I hope Philly fans get that same experience. And I'm glad, a couple of months ago, I got to experience it live with my boys. It's a very cool memory.

Good luck, Paps. Thanks for the memory.

No comments: