Thursday, September 1, 2011

Lymphoma Awareness

September is Lymphoma Awareness Month.

Google it and you'll find sites like this one, which provide some information about lymphoma.

You'll also find sites like this one. This type of site used to upset me, because they seem to be trying to capitalize on lymphoma awareness just to sell t-shirts. But when i think that way, I have to stop myself, and remind myself to do what I do whenever someone makes what seems to be an insensitive remark about cancer: give them the benefit of the doubt. Sites that sell lymphoma shirts almost always make clear that they do so to benefit lymphoma research, so I'm OK with them. Plus -- if you want to make people aware, how else are you going to do it? Seems like encouraging them to stare at your chest is not a bad choice.

On top of all that, there are some great lymphoma shirts out there. I like this one from Hope and Dreams:

Funny, but with that impatient edge that lots of us have. This one from Gifts for Awareness is very cool:


It's meant to be worn by people who run or walk for charity, though it would have a double meaning for me, given how important running has been for me as a way of measuring how healthy I've been through all of this.

Finally, I have to say that I liked this one from Zazzle at first, but only because I misread it. The shirt says Powered by Hope," with a lime green computer on/off putton. But the page describing it says "Lymphoma Powered by Hope," and when I first glanced at it quickly, I thought it just said "Lymphoma Powered," which is kind of weird, but also kind of true, because if your cancer serves as a kind of inspiration for yourself, a way of pushing yourself, then you really might be powered by lymphoma, in a sense. But those shirts probably wouldn't sell well, because you'd need to go into a big long explanation about why they aren't as weird as they seem.

So, the point is, do what you can to make others aware of lymphoma, what it is, who has it, and how they can help. If nothing else, send them here. I'll tell them plenty.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I am a two time Lymphoma survivor who went through a stem cell transplant. I started designing cancer shirts because it was a way for me to use my creativity to raise awareness for a cancer that was not even acknowledged on any t-shirt (unless it was Breast Cancer) until I got started in late 2006. In addition to donating to Lymphoma Research and other charities, I do my part by donating countless of hours of my time a week counseling Lymphoma patients, survivors and their families through both online and in-person support groups. The designs you mentioned are from my Lymphoma shop and I am proud to say I've done my part to raise awareness for this cause in addition to donating funds and hundreds of hours of volunteer time. My shop is not a charity by the way and we don't ask for money. I use my creativity to design shirts for those attending awareness events and the small portion I receive through the sales of each shirt, I have donated a substantial amount to Lymphoma and cancer research both from t-shirt sales and my income. I also donate t-shirts to teams raising awareness, so no it's not about money. It's a way for me to give back for getting a second chance at life. As a two time Lymphoma survivor with stage IV, I have done more than my part by raising awareness for these rare cancers. I capitalize emotionally by spreading the word, counseling patients and survivors through voluntary measures. If there are those looking to wear an awareness t-shirt for their cause, as a designer and artist, I am proud to help them raise awareness and get people talking about causes. I would have appreciated that you contacted me before you made the assumption that my Lymphoma store is only here to capitalize on cancer awareness. Without awareness, what hope do we have in getting our cause acknowledged?