Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What Not to Say

I'm in one of those really busy periods at work right now -- it always happens at the end of the spring semester, when everyone is scrambling to finish things up before summer begins and everyone leaves to work on their novels. So my posting has been less frequent than I would like. Sorry about that. Everything is OK. Better than OK, really -- I not only have a job that keeps me busy, I enjoy the work, and I'm healthy enough to do it.

Here's a link to another one of those "What Not to Say to a Cancer Patient" articles called, appropriately enough, "What Not to Say to a Cancer Patient," published yesterday on the Dallas Morning News website. It's got some more of those stories about people saying things without thinking. It quotes Dr. Wendy Harpham, an NHL survivor, who writes a fantastic blog on cancer patients' emotional issues, particularly cancer survivors. If I haven't linked to it before, here it is. She's great.

I find the whole subject of "mis-speaking" fascinating, partly because I'm amazed at some of things people say, but more because, given what I do for a living, I find it so much fun to try to figure out what possible good someone could be trying to do when they say something stupid. Of course, this assumes that they really are trying to do something good.

But I'm that kind of guy -- always looking on the bright side of life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Brother:

"given what I do for a living, I find it so much fun to try to figure out what possible good someone could be trying to do when they say something stupid."

I'm glad that I can help keep a roof over your head and keep you gainfully employed :)

Good video, although i don't remember the bagpipers in "The Life of Brian". Gonna have to watch it again.

Mike