Saturday, July 31, 2010

Happy Birthday

...to my baby, who is now 9 years old. Hard to believe.

She waited until 9:55 this morning to make it "official," since that was the time she was actually born. She's very precise that way. She'll make a great lawyer. But that didn't stop her from opening presents and eating her chocolate chip pancake breakfast at 8:30.

A couple of days ago, I went to a music store to get her something for her birthday, and I settled on The Beatles Rubber Soul CD. I also got her a Hannah Montana karaoke CD, so she could sing along to "The Climb."

As I was checking out, the young man behind the counter looked at the two CDs and said, "I bet I know which one these is for you."

"Actually," I told him, "they're both for my 9 year old daughter." He raised his eyebrows, obviously impressed with the complexity of my daughter's musical tastes.

So, in her honor, two of her favorite Beatles songs, both from one of her favorite movies, Yellow Submarine (she's a big fan of Ringo): "Nowhere Man" (which is on Rubber Soul), and "Hey Bulldog," which I used to sing to her every night when she was smaller. Not a traditional good-night song, but, hey, she's a complex girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Besides our shared love of all that is food, I knew I shared something else with my little niece.

I am the walrus! (just look at my 70's vintage moustache). Yes, I have been accused of being a motorcycle cop more than once.

Happy Birthday! I'll pass on commenting about Hannah Montana... for now.

Unlce Mike
(the Lance Armstrong wannabe) see you next week.