Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Stanley Cup

Things have been crazy this week. I started teaching two summer classes yesterday, and today we began our two-day Teaching Academy at work. It's been non-stop for a few days. No time to read about any new research from the ASCO conference. I'll try to get to it in the next day or two.

In the meantime, enjoy this: a replica of hockey's Stanley Cup, made out of 1000 TasteeKakes. I thought my brother might enjoy the Stanley Cup part, and I know Isabel (and probably her siblings) would like the TasteeKake part. I know how much Isabel misses her TasteeKakes sometimes. We didn't have them growing up in New England; we had Drakes Cakes. Devil Dogs and Funny Bones were excellent things. But for Isabel, it was all about TasteeKakes, especially Butterscotch Krimpets. When I was in Philadelphia a couple of years ago, I saw some Krimpets at the train station, and brought them home for her. I don't think she's had a fix since then, sadly.

Of course, I don't eat any of that stuff. Don't want to mess with my 181 cholesterol.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sacrilege. Akin to a model of the World Series trophy made out of tootsie rolls. Total lack of reverence for the world's most coveted trophy.

But, it's Philly, whose claim to fame is Cheez whiz melted on what is alleged to be beef.

Bitter you say. No.

I blame the Bruins alone for their demise. Hockey players are naturally supersticious. They just are. Don't question why. Just accept it. I don't know any player that doesn;t have a ritual. Whether it's putting on your gear in a certain way,skating the same warm up pattern, etc. Hockey players are creatures of strange habit. THEN WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU UNVEIL A LIFE SIZED STATUE OF BOBBY ORR'S 1970 WINNING GOAL (FLYING THRU THE AIR) OUTSIDE OF THE GARDEN ON THE NIGHT OF GAME 5 WHEN YOU COULD HAVE CLOSED OUT THE FLYERS!!!! NATURALLY THE FLYERS WON THAT GAME TO GO BACK TO PHILLY. THEY WON THE SERIES BECAUSE THEY PLAYED THAT STUPID VIDEO OF KATE SMITH SINGING GOD BLESS AMERICA. Of course they won the series. I knew they would. They stayed with the ritual.

Now go have a TasteeKakes - Mr 181.

Gotta go now. I'm arranging to have that Kate Smith tape destroyed. Go Blackhawks!! (if they have any sense, they'll let Stan Mikita drop the puck for game 5 in Chicago.)


Hockey Man.(174 cholesterol - HA!)

Lymphomaniac said...

174? No way. Unless beer lowers cholesterol.

I want to see a signed doctoir's report....

Anonymous said...

Cut back on beer. I actually tried MGD 64. Let's say O'Douls tastes more like beer.

45 mile bike rides (we're just warming up).

down 20 lbs since January.

And i still have more hair on top and can grow better facial follicular features than you.

Sorry - that was mean, but I was trying to impress my academic little brother with a good aliteration. Facial follicular features was the best I could do.

When you take the training wheels off your bike, give me a call and we'll go attack some hills. :)-

i'll send you the lab report tonight