Friday, February 19, 2010

Sixth Rituxan is Done

Had round #6 today. It went well -- no problems.

It was kind of up in the air whether or not I'd even have the Rituxan. My White Blood Cell count was getting lower last week, and Dr. R said if it was below a certain point, we'd skip this round. I'd have been OK with that, I guess, but I really wanted a final round in me, so I was happy when the blood test came back OK. (In fact, the WBC count was moving back up from last week, which is good overall, I guess.)

The kids are on vacation this week, and we were going to have someone watch them, but then we decided we'd just bring them along so they could see where I was and meet my friendly nurses. They stayed just until I was settled in, then Isabel took them to a game center for their second round of lazer tag this week. They came back to bring me lunch, and then left again until I was done. I haven't asked them what they thought of the place, but I know my nurse Sue thought they were great kids.

The only excitement came at 11:00, when Tiger Woods came on TV. The doctor and nurses all stopped to watch him, too, which was pretty funny. My own reaction to the whole staged and scripted show was decidedly less emotional than this commentator from the Golf Channel who was moved to tears, but, whatever -- it helped put me to sleep for a half hour, and I needed the nap.

Next up: a CT scan on March 2 to see just how well the Rituxan did its job. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news on the wbc going back in the right direction. Were praying for continued progress for you.

Now, about that Golf Channel guy. My guess is that the crying is likely stemming from the reality the Golf Channel will dry up if Tiger doesn't get back on the tour very soon, and Bubba will be back to stoking the pit at his brother in law's barbeque restaurant in Nowehere, Texas,(pure speculation on my part).

The other reason is that it's evident that this guy has French Heritage. What other man would be an emotional puddle in a time of crisis. Read some WWII history. The French are wonderful runners. I don't care if Francois Mitterand spoke at your BU graduation. He was probably crying too.

O.K. I'm done.

PS - it's a stupid looking tower anyway.

Mike

Anonymous said...

It's of course completely unfair for me to make this conjecture but I will go out on a limb and suggest that the Golf Channel guy may have been moved to tears because Wood's family destroying behavior reminded him of something that took place in his own life. Maybe his dad couldn't control himself either and it led to deep emotional scars.

The only other explanation would be that he so admires Wood's golf prowess that the thought of not being able to watch Tiger at the top of his game again is too much for him to contemplate.

Either that or his meds need adjusting.

Tom

Lymphomaniac said...

Lympho Bob is no place for cynics. Maybe it was just...very dusty in the studio....