Friday, September 4, 2009

Cancer Hospital

The local newspaper had a nice article last week on the progress that the new Yale Cancer Hospital is making. It will be opeing very soon. Read about it here.

It sounds like it's going to be a great place. The official name is the Smilow Cancer Hospital, and the new chief physician is currently (or was until recently) head of oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital -- nice credentials.

I like the rooftop garden that they have planned. Very peaceful. Plus, there are "infusion suites," which sounds great. I assume a suite means I'd get an extra seating area or a kitchenette with microwave and mini-fridge or something.

Yale already has an excellent reputation for oncology care -- US News and World Report ranks it in the top 25 hospitals in the country. (You know what's really comforting to me? Five of the top 25 are within about 2 hours of my house.) I think this new facility will only increase their reputation.

Of course, I have a financial interest in all this -- my registration fee (plus a small extra donation) from the Hope is Coming 5k went to the hospital building fund. I better get a brick on the sidewalk or something.

No comments: