Friday, June 26, 2009

Farrah

I'll have to save the Michael Jackson tribute for some other time. MJ was a Friend of Lympho Bob -- "We Are the World" and Thriller has been mentioned here more than once. Very sad news.

But for me, Farrah Fawcett's passing is just a little sadder. I won't get too heavily into why, other than to say she played as significant a role in my adolescence as she did in that of millions of other men around my age. I remember the day I got the The Farrah Poster -- I won it playing Skee Ball at Lincoln Park's arcade (on a day trip with the altar boys from St. Mary's, which somehow made the whole thing even better). I won't even bother linking to an image of The Poster -- you've probably seen it a hundred times in the last day or two.

Farrah lives on for me, not just in the great memory of that poster, but in this very cool and surprising connection:

Her doctor was Dr. Lawrence Piro, who's kind of an "oncologist to the stars" in L.A. But more importantly, he's an internationally recognized expert in blood cancers. He did early work with Rituxin, helping to establish dosage guidelines through his research.

And now he's pushing Zevalin. A Newsweek blog from yesterday includes an interview with Dr. Piro, much of which discusses the importance of oncologists recognizing the benefits of Zevalin and other RadioImmunoTherapies like Bexxar for lymphoma patients.

So, going back to the last post about looking for the bright side -- maybe Farrah's very public battle with cancer will result in some unexpected good for NHL patients.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob - It's sad when anyone's life is cut short and I certainly don't want to quibble with your adolescent taste in bombshells but I have never been able to figure out why Farrah was so popular. Her co-star in Charley's Angels, Jaclyn Smith, made her look like a 12 year old boy. Jaclyn's voice alone is sexy enough to make a bishop kick in a stained glass window (this colorful expression is my personal favorite compliment for female beauty). Shows you the power of big, feathered blonde hair in the 70's!

Like you, I have now revealed way too much about myself.

Tom

Lymphomaniac said...

Yeah, your sister told me that all you Buck boys had a clear preference for Jaclyn Smith. But she didn't have an eye-popping poster. It's all about the merketing....