Monday, April 13, 2009

A Few Follow-Ups

Well, my Louisville Cardinals men's basketball team lost in the Final Four.


Then the Louisville Women lost in the championship game.


But all is not lost this spring. My BU men's hockey team won the NCAA Championship on Saturday night in dramatic fashion, scoring two in the last minute or so to tie it up, and then winning it in overtime. Go Terriers!

I may have to write sometime about the time I got kicked out of a BU hockey game during my freshman year for saying bad things about the BC players.


**********************

I've been good about not reporting lately on some of the amazing chesseburgers I've seen online. They look great, but some seem to go a little overboard. But since baseball season just started, I thought I'd pass along the Fifth Third Burger being offered by a minor league team called the West Michigan Whitecaps. The burger is made thusly: "Start with an 8-inch sesame seed bun that requires 1 pound of dough and is made specially for the Whitecaps by Nantucket Baking Co. of Grand Rapids. Spoon on nearly a cup of chili and place five one-third pound hamburger patties on top of that. (Get it, 5/3 pounds of beef for the Fifth Third Burger?) Add five slices of American cheese and liberal doses of salsa, nacho cheese and Fritos. Top it off with lettuce, tomato and sour cream, and you have a burger that can be sliced with a pizza cutter and feed four people for $20. Jalapenos are optional."


The White caps concessions people had planned on giving a t-shirt to anyone who could finish the burger on their own (the shirt has nutritional information on the back -- 4, 989 calories). On opening night last week, 32 people took the burger challenge, and 17 were able to finish.

Seventeen people finished the thing? You call that a challenge? My brother and I each ate almost 5000 calories worth of our mother's manicotti at Easter dinner yesterday.


***********************

Finally, this is a post-Easter video that was too good to not link to. A woman in Rhode Island was accused of cyber-stalking a business competitor by going to the public library and signing the other woman up for loans, etc., so that she had people calling her all the time. The woman got caught doing it. To clear her name, she called a TV news show to do an interview with her. When the TV guy showed up at her business (she owns a costume shop), she tried to do the interview in a monster mask and a bunny suit. Just bizarre. I love Rhode Island.


***********************

Mom -- I never thanked you for all that Coast soap. I used it this morning, and I feel good -- really able to take on the day.


Have a good week.

6 comments:

nicole said...

I was almost positive I was going to find a picture of me eating lobster giving you a death stare today. Good thing i was wrong :)

Lymphomaniac said...

I would never do that to you, Sweetie....
It's on my Facebook page.
And on Flickr.
Plus the BostonHerald.com's "By You" feature.

Anonymous said...

Bob - Your mother's manicotti is no doubt delicious whereas the burger you describe is an abomination.

All calories are not created equally.

Tom

A reader in Louisville said...

Thanks for the link to the cyber-stalking Rhode Island woman...absolutely hysterical!

Lymphomaniac said...

Tom,
An abomination? Aren't you the one who used to brag about Ray's Ranch House burgers?

Reader in Louisville,
Glad the RI thing cheered you up after the U of L losses (assuming you're not a UK fan...)

A reader in Louisville said...

Nope, strictly a Cards fan. (I'm finishing up my Master's at UL.)

I started following your blog last summer when a friend's son was diagnosed...not only do I appreciate the medical updates, but I enjoy your sense of humor as well. Keep that attitude!