Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Running

I ran this morning for the first time in about a month. I seem to be over the bronchitis, and now I'm just dealing with the usual lingering winter stuff. (I usually have something like a cold from about November to March.)

I actually went to see Dr. R on Friday. I was done with a second round of antibiotics earlier in the week, but still wasn't feeling completely better. Rather than see the general practitioner, I called Dr. R. This was for three reasons: first, I missed him (I told him that, and he told me that I say that to him more often than his wife does); second, I wanted to be sure that the congestion-like feeling in my chest wasn't a bunch of nodes popping up; and third, I knew the GP would just give me another round of antibiotics, and and I'm hesitant to just keep popping them, fearing I'll build up a resistance when I might need them later on.

Dr. R is great. He took blood (no problems there) and did a physical exam, asked lots of questions, and told me I didn't seem to have any Lymphoma-related problems. I'm scheduled for a CT scan in about a month, and he said if I wanted to, we could move it up, but he didn't see the need. So we're going to just do the CT when it's scheduled in February. He's very good about asking questions, giving answers, explaining, and calming.

So I ran this morning -- a slow, 20 minute run, but it's something, anyway. Unfortunately, the layoff means I'd be in no shape to run on Sunday, which is too bad, because it means I'll miss another 5k. This one would be special, too -- the Run for Refugees up East Rock, which I did last year just a few weeks after the diagnosis, and which I set my Personal Record for. It would have been nice to run it again. That's three I'd hoped to run that I had to miss since early November. But I'll say again, better that I wanted to and couldn't, than I wasn't able to.

The good news is, I spent all that extra time I had over the last month practicing guitar.



Yes, you're seeing it right -- Lympho Bob is rockin the beard.


5 comments:

Dave, Mandy and Marshall Hall said...

Bob, Glad to hear things with the cold are getting better. Sounds like Dr. R is keeping you in line along with the fNHL. Thanks for all the words of encouragement on the blog. I haven't really had much time to get on there and write up anything, my wife has. Just to give you an update on the Epratuzamab and Rituxan trial I am on --- I got my most recent scan results and all tumors continue to shrink in my chest, neck and abdomen... Doc Blum will be going over the total results with me on Feb. 6th ... but if I am reading it correctly.... the even better news - no evidence of disease in my pelvis! I have been able to continue to run/workout/play soccer with no side effects. I'll keep you posted. Get better and get back to running!

Anonymous said...

Play Freebird!


Hope you kick the winter funk soon.

Down nodes, down!

Tom

mike said...

Boy it stinks getting old, doesn't it. The recovery from even minor medical issues seems to get longer with time.

Glad you're able to get back to running. I'm on week 7 post my ankle surgery, and able to run a bit and ride the bike in spinning class, but I think hockey is still a few more weeks away.

I've signed up again for this years Pan Mass Challenge. Last year the ride raised over $35 million that was doneted directly to fund cancer research at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. More info to follow.

Not sure about the beard. You look a bit too serious in the picture. I'm sure there's a beer sitting off camera somewhere. ;)

Mike

Lymphomaniac said...

Tom,
I'll respond to your "Free Bird" comment soon.

Mike,
Nice picture.
When you have a Pan Mass Challenge donation web site set up, be sure to let us all know.
I think the beard makes me look a lot like Eric Clapton. We Slow Hand types are always serious when we're cradling our Six String....

Lymphomaniac said...

Dave,
Fantastic news. I hope it keeps going so well for you. As Karl from the group says, you're helping us all by being a aprt of the Epra-R trial.
Keep working out -- you'll need the aerobic fitness when Marshall starts walking.
Bob