Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Few Follow-Ups

We're back into the swing of things with classes now. Isabel and I are both teaching brand new courses in a new program for first-year students, which is fun. But it's all completely brand new, so we can't even fall back on old activities and assignments much, so it's been a lot of work. But I'm enjoying it -- helps with that transition back to being a full-time teacher again.

So there's nothing much new to report, but there are a few follow-ups from older posts:

********************

First, and certainly most importantly, we're all devastated here with the news that Tom Brady is out for the season with a torn ACL. Well, Peter is devastated. The rest of us are just...quietly mourning.

While this might seem like a completely new item, it's actually a double follow-up.

First, we had suspected that Strudel had a torn ACL a little while back. I'm happy to report that she has been doing well since the vet recommneded resting her leg (her own version of watch and wait). She's back to full activity now. She sends her love to most of you, except the few of you she wants to bite.

But the Brady item is also a follow-up on a previous Nodes of Gold entry, featuring athletes with Lymphoma. In that entry, Joe Andruzzi was shown singing "I Got Friends in Low Places" at Larryoke -- teammate Larry Izzo's fundraiser. Here's where the second follow-up comes in: at the same event, prevously-second-string-and-now starting-quarterback Matt Cassel drunkenly announces "I'm very flamboyant right now," whatever the hell that means, and then sings the Backstreet Boys' "I Want it That Way." This is the guy that's going to us back to the Super Bowl. Great.

(Not that I have anything against the song. In fact, I just love this video of two guys from China doing their thing with the song. But just as the Chinese government didn't want these guys in the Opening Ceremonies for the Olympics, I don't much want Matt Cassel throwing to Randy Moss.)

(Be sure to stay for the Bloopers Reel at the end of the Chinese Guys video.)

**********************

The New Haven Road Race finally posted category results (by age groups, etc.). I placed 124th out of 164 in the 40-44 year old male division. Not great.

However, in the Clydesdale division, I placed 48th out of 76. Much better in terms of percentile.

Delving further: I placed 9th out of 12 in the unofficial category of 40-44 year ol Clydesdales.

So, I think we can safely say that I don't do well against other old guys, I do better against fat guys, but, again, less well against old and fat guys.

I'll need to think carefully about the implications of that data on my training plan.

*****************************************

Finally, a nice article in USA Today a couple of days ago on the Stand Up To Cancer telethon from Friday night. They raised about $100 million for cancer research. It was a good show -- lots of stars with cancer, who are survivors of cancer, have been affected by it, or who just care. YouTube and other places have lots of video, in case you missed it.

**********************

You're about caught up now. My next appointment with Dr. R is at the end of the month. I'll start gearing up for that soon, I guess.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of raising money for cancer research. . .
Monday, Sept 15th Portland area brew pubs are having Dine Out to Wipe out cancer. 20% of their take for the night goes to leukemia and lymphoma research. I'm not sure if this is just a Portland thing or if it is happening across the country but Tom and I will toss back a few in your honor. Of course we will want to raise a lot of money for cancer research so we might have to call in sick on Tuesday.

Cheers, Mary

mike said...

Bob -

Congrats on the race. I'm now convinced that the world of political correctness has moved totally off the charts when you have to come up with a "sensitive" name for big chubby guys that are trying to do something that's good for them.

Since I fall into that category, I'd prefer to be lumped in with the pack and use the performance as a benchmark/ motivator. But that's just me.... :)-

The RedBones race does seem like it could be a good challenge. Harpoon Brewery was a big sponsor of the Pan Mass Challenge, and the beer tasted good after 80 miles on the bike. Although it probably wouldn't have been as good half way through the race.

By the way, I don;t know if you've noted in your famous athletes with NHL, but I was watching an interview with Paul Azinger on tv last night. He was PGA Champion in 1993 and is this years Ryder Cup Captain. This years cup will be played at Valhalla in Louisville.
Yes - golfers are athletes. At least today's generation, with the exception of John Daly. I suppose he would be in the Clydesdale category of pro golfers if they had such a thing. If you haven;t profiled Azinger yet, I'm nominating him for the next Nodes of Gold award.

It was good to catch up yesterday. I was having one of those mornings when I needed a good laugh.

See you soon.

Mike

Lymphomaniac said...

Mike,
We'll meet at Foxwoods soon. I'm counting on your magic touch with the slots to fund my overpriced lunch again.

Mary,
Septmber 15 is National Lymphoma Awareness Day. As good an excuse as any to drink a beer or two. If you can, I would appreciate it if the one that you hoist for me is an Obsidian Stout.

Bob

nicole said...

ok about tom brady..im just livid. he tore is mcl too and has to wait 4 to 6 weeks to even get surgery on his acl then is out for 9 months to play again. but anyways today in anatomy, my teacher was talking about lymphnodes anddd i thought of youu! so just checking up and cant wait to see you for that race? hah..probably not going to be able to make it 3 miles...but ill cheer you on!

love,
nicole

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Stout, my favorite. I like Obsidian Stout also (a fine Oregon stout) but the brewery we were going to has their own "Space Stout," chocolaty/coffee goodness. From the name I think it might make you see stars. (Geeze I'm funny. . .)

~Mary