Monday, August 4, 2008

Healthy Eating

So here I am, trying to be good, visiting the farmer's market in town every Tuesday, upping my fruits and veggies intake, and I come across this:

It's a post called "The 7 Hamburgers of the Apocolypse," from DietBlog: Eat Right, Get Healthy. It lists (and criticizes) seven hamburgers from restaurant menus across the country that will "clog your arteries just by looking at them."

I love a good burger, something I think I inherited from my mom. Which isn't to say we need a huge, artery-clogging burger. But the right combination of soft bun, juicy meat, and melted cheese just makes us happy. What can we say?

My favorite on this list is, of course, the the #1: the Quadruple Bypass Burger from the Heart Attack Grill in Arizona. Four patties, and it comes with side orders of Jolt Cola, french fries cooked in lard, and a pack of unfiltered Luckies. Be sure to click on the link for the Heart Attack Grill, which looks like a perverse Hooters, with waitresses dressed as nurses. (And click on the link at the bottom of the Grill's page that says the federal government has required the restaurant to make it clear that the waitresses aren't real nurses.)

Close second is #7, the Luther Burger, names for Luther Vandross -- a bacon cheeseburger, with two glazed donuts serving as the bun.

They're all great, though. I'm sad that a Louisville burger didn't make the list. I can't even remember the name of the restaurant or the burger, but it's similar to #2 on the list, a huge burger served with a side of Frickles (deep fried battered pickles).

Summer gets me thinking about burgers. And about just how much lettuce and tomato I need to add to make the "healthy" rationalization seem just a little bit less ridiculous.

(This is what happens when I get a good scan report. All that fresh zucchini gets thrown out the window.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting how different people have different reactions to images. When I looked at the pictures my first thought was, "Why would anyone want to eat that. It must be some CIA form of torture."

Not to be preachy but . . .
I could recommend some good books that would turn you off meat in a second. Keep eating healthy and things like that will loose their appeal. :)

Love you,
Mary S-B

Lymphomaniac said...

What about the glazed donuts in #7? Can I still have them?

mike said...

I think PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) may have a thing or two to say about that article.

O.k. - everybody lighten up. No need to get Upton Sinclair involved in this.