Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Slowhand Bob

I did something kind of cool today: I had my first guitar lesson.

Given that I have three award-winning musicians for children, you might be surprised to know that I don't play an instrument (except for the velvet tornado that is my voice). In fact, I never even learned to read music.

But then I saw an old Partridge Family episode, and it just seemed like it would great fun to have a family band. Painting an old school bus groovy colors. Playing wacky pranks on our uptight band manager. Traveling around the country, singing songs with the wife and kids.

Seriously, about a year ago, I decided that it would be kind of cool to learn an instrument, and after some discussion with the children (who nixed anything involving heavy breathing or excessive banging, and settled on bass, since there are only four strings to deal with, or tambourine, because they're so darn funny), we settled on guitar. My plan was start lessons in the fall, when I had hoped to be on sabbatical, but that wasn't to be. Lately, I've been King of Things-Aren't-Really-Going-As-Planned, so I decided I'd start in the summer. Today was the day.

I'm taking lessons at the music school where the kids take piano. The owner of the school teaches piano to Catherine (and, for the summer, John), and also teaches guitar and drums. For my first 30 minute lesson, I learned proper hand positioning and the basic scale, and focused on the high E string. I have lots to practice before we meet again next Wednesday.

She said I did an excellent job, and she can tell where my children get their musical talent from.

(And yes, I recognize that she's hoping, in this economy, that I'll come back next week. I'm OK with that. As long as she keeps up with the flattery.)

Now, I think this is special because it's probably the first new thing I've tried to learn in 10 or 15 years. I've learned things in that time -- it's kind of a requirement of the whole professor gig to keep learning things -- but this is the first new thing I've learned in a long time. Learning, say, MS PowerPoint isn't really new if you're already really good at MS Word. For me, guitar is almost completely new, right down to having to learn which little dots and lines means which notes on the paper thingy.

So that's kind of exciting. When I learned in December that I wasn't going to get my sabbatical for the fall, I starting thinking I wouldn't bother with the guitar lessons. Two weeks later, I got the NHL diagnosis. Priorities change. Different things start to matter.

So to celebrate my awesomeness, I invite you to check out Rolling Stone Magazine's list of the 100 greatest guitar songs of all time. Each song listed has an audio clip and video. Feel free to debate in the comments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob the pressure is on now. You let it out that you're learning guitar. You know the Buck Clan. You will be expected to perform in front of everyone at the next family reunion. You better polish up your performance with your side of the family first. (Remember 5 points for musicallity, 5 points for technique, 5 points for song choice, and 10 points for being able to play the guitar while doing something else like rollerblading)

I know a few people that will show you no mercy even if you try to play the NHL card.
Love, Mary S-B

mike said...

Bob -

Congrats on the new musical adventure. Sounds like fun.

When I turned 40, my midlife crisis panacea was ice hockey and motorcycles. I encourage you to keep exploring new pursuits. It keeps the mind active and the body young.

As for me, I think once you master the guitar, we should work on the bag pipe duet routine. Frankly, with all the bicycle riding I've been doing to train for the Pan Mass Challenge, my calves have turned into chisled blocks of granite, and candidly, I think I'd look damn goood in a kilt.

Just one (Scots)man's opinion.

See you Friday.

p.s. To Mary's comment - I pay money to see you TRY to rollerblade. With or without the guitar!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob,
I was just thinking about your Partridge Family comment. If you think further about it I don't think you'll want John or Peter to grow up into the adult Danny or Keith.

Just somethhing to ponder.
~Mary

Lymphomaniac said...

Mary,
You haven't seen me really play he NHL card. You'll see some mercy. And you forgot -- I don't want Catherine growing up like Susan Day, either.

Mike,
I found a site for something like "budget kilts" for $29 each. Seems like a reallt bad idea, though, to not have a good quality, heavy weight kilt. We'll see more than your rock-hard calves....