Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Follow Ups

A couple of quick follow-ups to recent posts.

***********************

First, my guitar playing. I forgot to mention that the guitar I am using once belonged to my bother-in-law John. My mother-in-law gave it to me when we were visiting about a month ago. I'm honored to have it, and I will not only work hard to get good at it, but I will not stain its memory by doing bad Pete Townsend "windmill" impersonations with it.

***********************

Second, with all this Canada/Hockey talk lately, I was thrilled to come across this quiz, "Don Cherry Outfit or Clown Costume?" The quiz shows a series of suits that might be clown costumes, or might be actual outfits work by Don Cherry. For those of you who don't know who Don Cherry is, he's former pro hockey player and coach (for the Boston Bruins), who now does TV commentary for ESPN and in his beloved Canada. He is often called both "flambouyant" and "patriotic." These pictures give you a sense of both his Canadian pride, and justification for a quiz that confuses him with a clown:












**********************************
One last thing:

Chuck and Jon, sorry we missed you. Hope everything is OK.

3 comments:

mike said...

Bob -

Hope you and the kids had a good time visting on the 4th. The sight of you dancing the Cha-Cha Slide by the pool will haunt my sleep for weeks. I'm confident that your musical abilities will surpass your (pseudo) dancing skills. I'm just glad that Emily didn't have any break dancing music loaded on her i-pod.

Grapes has a fashion sense that is unmatched in the ranks of NHL coaches. Barry Melrose ,former ESPN analyst, and now Tampa Bay Lightning Coach has some pretty outrageous outfits, but his mullet balances them off pretty well. None comes close to Don Cherry's choice of 1950's draperies that were re-cycled as suits. Frugal perhaps, tasetles definitely.

I scored 91 on the quiz. I answered one question as a Don Cherry outfit, but it was actually a clown costume.

Canada can keep him.

Mike

Lymphomaniac said...

I love that Don Cherry's nickname is "Grapes." Canadian humor. Ha! Looking at all those funny people on the Famous Canadians list, it's no suprise they came up with that nickname. (Who do you think it was? John Candy? Dave Foley?)

Sadly, I can't do the Hustle, but I do a mean Macarena to go along with my Cha Cha slide.

mike said...

Bob and Doug McKenzie.


or Mike Myers