Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jon Lester

In case you haven't heard (and I know my family has heard), Jon Lester of the Red Sox pitched a no hitter last night.

Lester is, of course, the young pitcher who was diagnosed with a form of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma two years ago. He was treated successfully, and won the deciding game of the World Series last October. And now a no-no.

Isabel and I were exhaustedly flipping around the channels at about 9:30 last night, trying to come down a little before we went to bed. I checked ESPN to find a score for the Sox, and the banner said "Breaking News: Red Sox Jon Lester entering 9th with a no hitter."

We switched to NESN, and I ran upstairs to get Peter. So he got to watch the last inning with us, and see the no hitter happen.

This is huge for us. Lester has been a kind of symbol of hope for Peter. When we told the kids about the diagnosis, John and Peter were so tense when they heard the word "cancer." When I reminded Peter that he'd heard of NHL before -- it was what Lester was diagnosed with -- I could feel his whole body relax. We've been following him closely all season.

After the last pitch, I immediately went to the computer to share the news with my online support group. Reactions are still coming in, but they're all thrilled and inspired.

Here's a quick story on ESPN.com, with video of highlinghts of the game.

It's such a good thing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story Bob.

As soon as I heard the news yesterday I knew you would be pleased.

On another subject; GO CELTICS.

Tom

Lymphomaniac said...

Even the Yankees fans in my support group were happy about it. So you know it was big.

Yeah, go Celtics. But Garnett isn't coming up as big as I expected him to, and Ray Allen left his ankles in the Northwest, aparently. I don't have high hopes -- not until they show me a litte more than they have.

mike said...

Bob -

I find your Celtics skepticism deeply disappointing. How can you not love a team that locked in their playoff berth around Christmas?

I suppose you got spoiled watching "real" basketball when you were in Louisville, huh.

Just remember - Doc Rivers played for Marquette when I was there. Even though he had to suffer the indignity of finishing his career with the Knicks, I'm still cheering for him.

Frankly, the whole NBA has been watered down to little more than an MTV - video like extravaganza. (do they even play music videos on MTV any more?) Every play and shot has to be a highlight reel maker. We need a good Rick Barry duck shot from Ray Allen. May be his only chance of sinking one.

my prediction: Bruins over Calgary in the Stanley Cup finals in 2009. (no I haven't been drinking at lunch).

Mike

p.s. - a proud plug for my oldest daughter. Besides excelling at tearing limbs off of other teams players on the soccer field, I was very proud that Nicole made a academic hat trick last night. She was admitted into the National Honor Society, the Canton High Century Club (top 100 students), and she also received a special award for community service. Way to go Nicole!

Lymphomaniac said...

Smart and beautiful. Why isn't she going to BU?

mike said...

Nice try, but she say's the city is too dirty. I told her it's close to Newbury Street, but no luck.

Besides, Charlie's is gone know. She'll never be able to experience the fun of french fries and gravy at 1 in the morning, while wathcing a 250 lb linebacker, practicing ballet moves on the barre. He was actually pretty good.

I still think she'd make a great State Trooper. I wouldn't mess with her - even without a gun.